What is a Social Enterprise?
At the Galway City Partnership we consider a social enterprise as “ … an enterprise that trades for a social/societal purpose, where at least part of its income is earned from its trading activity, is separate from government and where the surplus is primarily reinvested in the social objective” (Forfás, 2013.) This definition is from a report by the Irish Local Development Network.
The Galway City Partnership has a long history of a commitment to social enterprises in Galway City. In the past we have:
• Supported a women’s crafting collective specialising in unique, locally produced, handmade and recycled products which were tested in a pop-up market
• Made wood templates of planters and bird houses for schools to build in groups as part of a workshop activity
• Created a Roof Top Garden with water saving storage benches.
Our Goals for all Social Enterprise Projects that we are involved with are to:
1. Increase awareness of and promote social enterprise activity in Galway City
2. Share information and experience on financial infrastructure and governance best practices for social enterprises
3. Design and encourage use of evaluations and monitoring metrics that measure the scope of social enterprise contributions
4. Provide training on start-up and scaling–up social enterprises
5. Provide leadership in networking, partnerships and collaborations to achieve greater social impact of social enterprises.
Some of the Projects we are supporting at the moment- with contact details for more information- are:
• Galway Artisan Workshop/ Social Enterprise Hub- www.galwayartisanworkshop.com
• Sew Last Season- sewing project with St. Vincent de Paul- www.facebook.com/sewlastseason
• An Mheithal Rothar, The Bicycle Community-https://www.facebook.com/AnMheithealRothar
• Cafe Temple-https://www.facebook.com/cafetemple/info/?tab=overview
For information on any of the above or if you have a query, contact Eileen Lauster, Social Enterprise Development Officer at [email protected] or mobile: 086-008-0570