Westside Local Community Development Office of Galway City Partnership occupies one of the office spaces in Westside Resource Centre, Seamus Quirke Road, Galway. We offer support and resources to individuals and community groups in the area:
1) provision of information on:
- rights and entitlements and referral services to other Local Agencies i.e
- Westside Family Services
- Social Workers
- Westside Age Inclusion
- Youth Work Ireland
- Galway & Roscommon Education and Training Board (ETB) formerly VEC
- Sunflower Creche
- Westside Library
- Westside Community Centre
- Galway City Council etc.
2) programmes under the Community Education Initiatives and Back To Education Initiatives to increase peoples’ access to formal & informal education and improve their work readiness
3) other programmes/unaccredited taster courses aimed at promoting participation and improving wellbeing
4) supports to community groups, community initiatives i.e Westside Art Festival, Westside Community Patchers, Westside Craft Group, Westside Community Garden Group, Westside Men’s Group, Shining Stars Traveller Women’s Group and development of new community groups.
Westside Craft Groups meets 9.30am to 12.30pm on Mondays, hand making craft items besides having a place for friendship, sharing and promoting participation. Westside Community Patchers also meets 10.00am to 12.00pm on Thursdays for quilting besides sharing, making friends and promoting participation. These two groups will be running classes soon for both members and prospective members. Westside Community Garden Group meets on Wednesdays from 10.00am to 12pm on the Garden looking after the Westside Community Garden and for tea, friendship, sharing and promoting participation.
These Local Commuinty Groups also organise courses to upskills in what they do best for their members and non-members who are interested.
ITABE ( Intensive Adult Basic Education) Classes in partnership with the ETB is available for for anyone who is interested in learning basic maths, reading, writing, spelling, listening and speaking skills here in the Westside Resource Centre. Classes runs on Mondays and Fridays from 9.30am to 12.30pm.
During the year 2013, various unaccredited courses organised includes: Beginner Computer Courses, Intermediate Computer Courses, Jewellery Making, DIY, Woodworks, Cookery and Wellness Programme. We also organised half day workshops on ‘Your Emotions, Your Health and Wellbeing’, ‘ BreastCheck & CervicalCheck’ and ‘ Money Management & Budgeting’. We organised events as part of 2013 Social Inclusion Week; Open Day ‘ Know Your Community’ and various workshops to celebrate participation.
2013 Westside Christmas Market is on Friday 13th of December from 10am to 4pm in Westside Resource Centre. There would be loads of Christmas baking/cooking, handmade gifts, flower arrangements and handmade household items on sales at reasonable prices.
Please contact us on 091-528325 / 087-9303468 or drop in to complete a registration form at Westside Resource Centre (Opp. Westside Library) if you which to attend any of our events, information workshops or training programmes.
If you are looking for contact information please see our Staff Contact Information: