THE GALWAY CITY YOUTH ADVOCACY SERVICE (YAS) is a community based service whose goal is to provide career path planning and support to young people between the ages of 16-21 years old who are:
- At risk of leaving school or
- Who have already fallen out of mainstream education with little or no qualifications.
What We Do:
Following a client referral, the Advocacy Service works with a young person in a number of ways.
- A one-to-one meeting is arranged with the person where previous education, training or work experience is discussed.
- All realistic options open to the client are explored along with stumbling blocks or issues which prevents the client from reengaging with education or progressing onwards.
- The client’s strengths are acknowledged with the aim of providing a positive future direction.
- A tailored made career path plan is then put in place along with clear and attainable short term goals, with a view to motivating and progressing the young person to further education, training or employment.
- Galway City Youth Advocacy Service also offers a range of psychometric assessments covering areas such as basic skills, motivation, personality and career interests which, where deemed appropriate, may be used to assist the client’s decision making.
- The Youth Advocacy Service currently employs three permanent advocacy workers: one full-time (John O’Donnell) and two part-time (‘job-share’) staff (Mike Haines and Ger McNamara).
Progression options for Early School Leavers in Galway city.
- Community Training Cerntre
- DochasDon Oige
- National Learning Network
Day and Evening Courses
- Galway & Roscommon Education & Training Board. Link to GRETB http://www.gretbtrainingcentre.ie/pages/daycourses/daycourses.php
- Galway Community College. Link to GCC: https://gcc.enrol.ie/GALWAY/RegisterOne.php
- Galway Technical Institute. Link to GTI: http://www.gti.ie/
Suggestions for strengthening C.V
- Youth project participation
- Work experience
- Sports clubs
How To Contact Us:
See the Staff Contact Page for Advocacy Contact Details