THE GALWAY CITY YOUTH ADVOCACY SERVICE (YAS) is a community based service whose goal is to provide career path planning and support to young people between the ages of 16-21 years old who are:
- At risk of leaving school or
- Who have already fallen out of mainstream education with little or no qualifications.
What We Do:
Following a client referral, the Advocacy Service works with a young person in a number of ways.
- A one-to-one meeting is arranged with the person where previous education, training or work experience is discussed.
- All realistic options open to the client are explored along with stumbling blocks or issues which prevents the client from reengaging with education or progressing onwards.
- The client’s strengths are acknowledged with the aim of providing a positive future direction.
- A tailored made career path plan is then put in place along with clear and attainable short term goals, with a view to motivating and progressing the young person to further education, training or employment.
- Galway City Youth Advocacy Service also offers a range of psychometric assessments covering areas such as basic skills, motivation, personality and career interests which, where deemed appropriate, may be used to assist the client’s decision making.
You can also refer to GRETB (Galway Roscommon Education Training Board) website on http://galwayroscommon.etb.ie/ or to the Galway YAS Information Leaflet at https://gcp.ie
- The Youth Advocacy Service currently employs three permanent advocacy workers: one full-time (John O’Donnell) and two part-time (‘job-share’) staff (Mike Haines and Ger McNamara).
Progression options for Early School Leavers in Galway city.
- Community Training Cerntre
- DochasDon Oige
- National Learning Network
Day and Evening Courses
- Galway & Roscommon Education & Training Board. Link to GRETB http://www.gretbtrainingcentre.ie/pages/daycourses/daycourses.php
- Galway Community College. Link to GCC: https://gcc.enrol.ie/GALWAY/RegisterOne.php
- Galway Technical Institute. Link to GTI: http://www.gti.ie/
Suggestions for strengthening C.V
- Youth project participation
- Work experience
- Sports clubs
How To Contact Us:
See the Staff Contact Page for Advocacy Contact Details